Sunday, July 24, 2011

German Plum Küchen

I finally took the time to find a recipe for German Plum Küchen. Talk about a walk down memory lane, I can remember when my German Grandmother use to make this. . . so I can hardly wait til it's down to see if it tastes the same. . .
So once I made the base and patted into the bottom of the spring form pan I put lots and lotsa plums on it. . . 
Making the crumb topping. . . I can't believe how easy this recipe is! Although the recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon; I'm making this for a surprise for my mom and she does NOT like cinnamon, I know it's hard to believe!
sprinkling the crumb topping on . . . so I'm just about done and ready to put the Plum Kuchen in the oven, I turn around to look for my little helper and this is what I find. . . she's definitely a Princess - doesn't like to get her lil paws into da flour ;D
and Ta da ~ here is the finished product!

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 lb butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 pinch salt (only if you use unsalted butter)
1 teaspoon lemon, rind of
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups plums, pitted and sliced into thin wedges

TOPPING:
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
  1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, add the sugar, vanilla, egg, lemon peel, sour cream and salt (if desired).
  2. Mix the flour and baking powder and add that into the mixture.
  3. Grease the base of a round baking pan and spread the dough over the pan.
  4. Liberally spread plums over the dough.
  5. To make the optional topping, cream the butter, add flour, sugar and cinnamon.
  6. Sprinkle over the plums and bake for 30-45 minutes in the middle rack at 375 F.
  7. Be careful not to let the bottom burn!
  8. Serve with lots of freshly-made whipped cream.
  9. If you like, you may also sprinkle rum or cinnamon over the fruit before baking.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate each one. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them once I figure out how to use Blogger - LOL!